Favorite "small screen" show and why...

"You know the really great thing about television?
If something important happens, anywhere in the world, night or day... you can always change the channel."

~ "Reverend Jim" Ignatowski

Discussion about television productions, internet exclusived, direct-to-DVD releases, and more...
Locknar
Top Secret
Top Secret

Favorite "small screen" show and why...

Postby Locknar » Mon Apr 28, 2014 1:54 am

Lots of room for discussion, debate, etc. but what is your favorite small screen sci-fi/hero type show and why? Obviously lots to choose from. My list, as I don't know if I have just one, would Star Trek (the original series), Quantum Leap (minus the "evil leaper" part), Batman the animated series, Lost in Space (Danger Will Robinson, Danger!), and maybe Twin Peaks ("good cup of Joe").

The Flash, though short lived (due to cost, audience), would get a honorable mention as would The 6 Million Dollar Man (we'll pretend the Bigfoot episode never happened). And of course Dr Who....

Then there are shows like Ultraman, Johnny Sokko's Flying Robot...that while were kids shows were also kind of deep. Ultraman had the whole death and service aspect, and Flying Robot the saving mankind part.
Michael Regan
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

Re: Favorite "small screen" show and why...

Postby Michael Regan » Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:49 pm

Locknar wrote:Lots of room for discussion, debate, etc. but what is your favorite small screen sci-fi/hero type show and why? Obviously lots to choose from. My list, as I don't know if I have just one, would Star Trek (the original series), Quantum Leap (minus the "evil leaper" part), Batman the animated series, Lost in Space (Danger Will Robinson, Danger!), and maybe Twin Peaks ("good cup of Joe").

The Flash, though short lived (due to cost, audience), would get a honorable mention as would The 6 Million Dollar Man (we'll pretend the Bigfoot episode never happened). And of course Dr Who....

Then there are shows like Ultraman, Johnny Sokko's Flying Robot...that while were kids shows were also kind of deep. Ultraman had the whole death and service aspect, and Flying Robot the saving mankind part.

For me, Star Trek the original series is certainly at the top of my list. I vividly remember watching reruns every Sunday at 10AM regardless of how many times I had watch the episode before. I was over the moon when the released the first theatrical feature in 1979.

Quantum Leap is on my list as well, the evil leaper is tolerable for me. Sliders is up there as well even though the show suffered from production interferance throughout. Such potential wasted overall.

Twin Peaks is certainly on my list. The complete oddness of the episodes which actually tied in to the occurances in the small town were great.

The Six Million Dollar Man and the Bionic Woman were also favourites when I was a kid and I love that they are finally available on DVD... I just have to get out there and buy them.

Battle of the Planets was one I watched regularly as well. I always considered it Transformers before Transformers were cool. I would love to see the original, unedited series released at some point. 7-Zark-7 was annoying.

I could go on... and perhaps I will later.

By the way, Locknar, feel free to pick an avatar from the gallery and if you don't see anything you particularly want you can ask for an image to be added to be used.
Locknar
Top Secret
Top Secret

Postby Locknar » Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:19 pm

Star Trek, The Motion Picture...I was so excited when it came out, and then...not exactly disappointed but along those lines. It has aged well, just have to overlook Kirk's hair!

The 6 Million Dollar Man, I liked the pilot and the first season or so a lot....where Steve had a certain edge to him (hating what Oscar and everyone had done to him). They moved away from that until the reunion type movies, where Steve didn't hate them but was just burned out.

Shows that had potential but didn't gel....Space 1999 (just to much silly drama, considering the life/death scenario they were in), Wonder Woman (ACK! See below), Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea (great movie...horrible series, with no continuity episode to episode), the Green Hornet to name a few of a long list.

Part of what killed Wonder Woman was, I think, trying to stay true to the original character. The WWII setting, fighting the Nazi's and their various plots, and just how dumb was everyone not to be able to figure it all out (shades of the TV show Superman and Clark). When the show changed networks in season 2, it went downhill....updated setting but silly plots, very poor special effects, and everyone again not able to figure it out all...except the computer IRAC (who ended up being her "parter" of sorts).

In the day I was a HUGE Batman (the tv series) fan, with a Batman themed birthday party...and a friend named Robin. Her and I would play Batman and Robin, our wind breakers pinned so they were capes, running around doing Batman and Robin type things.
AdamDestine
Writer
Writer

Postby AdamDestine » Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:46 am

All I can think of right now are more recent tv shows...

LOST, I watch the entire series once a year. Some episodes have weak flashback stories, but overall the characters and the stories are very engaging. Eko had some of the best stuff going.

DOCTOR WHO, I appreciate it even more so with the recently uncovered Enemy of the World and The Web of Fear. Second Doctor is a favorite. And the recent series is probably one of most favorite runs of any tv ever. Day of the Doctor was a masterpiece. Night of the Doctor was a hugely pleasant surprise.

THE WALKING DEAD, good stuff. Again it's the characters and the unexpected deaths, and I can watch this show in a marathon and not tire of it. The second season midseason reveal was so good. So many consistently good episodes, and a lot of great episodes in the mix. Carol's character arc is a personal favorite.

ADVENTURE TIME is so much fun and imagination, and goofy and odd stories.
Michael Regan
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

Postby Michael Regan » Tue Apr 29, 2014 5:14 pm

Doctor Who, of course is on my list. My latest project is tracking down the original series episodes my budget will allow for.
Locknar
Top Secret
Top Secret

Postby Locknar » Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:05 am

AdamDestine wrote:ADVENTURE TIME is so much fun and imagination, and goofy and odd stories.
I love Adventure Time! Next time you watch it, if you are a Futurama fan...close your eyes and just listen for a moment; it is Fry (different voice but same baisic character) and Bender without the unsavory aspects.

Another in the long list of shows that never gelled is Buck Rogers. The first couple of episodes had some real potential...then downhill, and jumbed the shark when the the ship Searcher was introduced, along with the character Hawk. *facepalm*

Also on the list of bad...most any Sy-Fi channel original productions; Thor, Sharknado, and a really mind numbing long long list. *sigh*
AdamDestine
Writer
Writer

Postby AdamDestine » Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:49 am

Locknar wrote:
AdamDestine wrote:ADVENTURE TIME is so much fun and imagination, and goofy and odd stories.
I love Adventure Time! Next time you watch it, if you are a Futurama fan...close your eyes and just listen for a moment; it is Fry (different voice but same baisic character) and Bender without the unsavory aspects.

Another in the long list of shows that never gelled is Buck Rogers. The first couple of episodes had some real potential...then downhill, and jumbed the shark when the the ship Searcher was introduced, along with the character Hawk. *facepalm*

Also on the list of bad...most any Sy-Fi channel original productions; Thor, Sharknado, and a really mind numbing long long list. *sigh*

I liked Alphas, Helix, and Warehouse 13 on SyFy. And Battlestar Galactica/Caprica/Blood and Chrome.

SyFy has some shows coming up that I'm interested in. The one I recall was Twelve Monkeys.

Sliders was another show that had a ton of potential but fizzled.
Locknar
Top Secret
Top Secret

Postby Locknar » Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:55 am

I tried really hard to like the revised Battlestar Galactica, just didn't quite do it for me. Not sure why, if it was just to different from the original, to much drama, or what. That said, there were episodes I liked, and a lot of plot lines I liked...just could not get into the series as a whole.
AdamDestine
Writer
Writer

Postby AdamDestine » Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:28 am

Locknar wrote:I tried really hard to like the revised Battlestar Galactica, just didn't quite do it for me. Not sure why, if it was just to different from the original, to much drama, or what. That said, there were episodes I liked, and a lot of plot lines I liked...just could not get into the series as a whole.

I thought the miniseries was really good.

I've enjoyed Clone Wars, for the most part the episodes have been interesting and fun and good. I haven't seen the episodes that went straight to Netflix.

I'm hoping Rebels will be good.
AdamDestine
Writer
Writer

Postby AdamDestine » Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:59 pm

Speaking of SyFy, I saw this today....
SyFy has announced its upcoming development slate for 2014, which includes adaptations of many comic book properties including Frank Miller's "Ronin," Jonathan Hickman's "Pax Romana," Charles Soule and Alberto Albuquerque's "Letter 44" and David Schulner and Juan Jose Ryp's "Clone."

Debuting in 1983 as a six-issue miniseries from DC Comics, Miller and Lynn Varley's "Ronin" follows a 13th-century samurai dishonored by has master's assassination who finds himself reborn in a dystopian 21st-century New York City, where he must defeat the ancient demon Agat, the reincarnation of his master's killer. Produced by Warner Horizon Television and DC Entertainment, the adaptation is envisioned as a miniseries; the search is under way for a writer.

Based on Hickman's 2007 Image Comics miniseries, "Pax Romana" is about a Special Forces team that travels back in time to ancient Rome to try to prevent World War III by altering the past. Matthew Federman and Stephen Scaia ("Warehouse 13") are writing the miniseries, with Scaia and Circle of Confusion's David Alpert ("The Walking Dead") executive producing. Hickman will serve as a co-executive producer.

Published by Robert Kirkman's Skybound Entertainment, "Clone" centers on Dr. Luke Taylor, who's seemingly perfect life is suddenly changed when an identical, bloodied version of himself arrives at his doorstep to reveal that he's one of many clones, and they're all after his pregnant wife and unborn child. The drama is written by David Schulner ("Dracula"), who will executive produce with Kirkman and Alpert.

"Terminator 3's" Jonathan Mostow is set to write, executive produce and direct the pilot for "Letter 44," based on the Oni Press series about a new U.S. president who learns through a letter from his predecessor that, seven years earlier, NASA discovered an alien construction project in the asteroid belt. A team of astronauts is sent to investigate. Eric Gitter and Peter Schwerin of Oni's movie banner Closed on Mondays will executive produce the Universal Television and Universal Cable Productions project with Rene Echevarria ("Terra Nova").

On the non-comics front, there's also "The Magicians," based on the acclaimed fantasy novels by Lev Grossman frequently described as "Harry Potter for grown-ups," or "Harry Potter with sex and drugs." The books -- there are two so far, "The Magicians" and "The Magician King" -- follow Quentin Coldwater and his classmates at Brakebills, an elite college of magic in upstate New York, who discover that a Narnia-like world from a series of children’s books is real. The rights were originally acquired in 2011 by Fox, but this adaptation hails from Universal. Sera Gamble (Supernatural) and John McNamara (In Plain Sight) are set to write the script and executive produce.

These actually sound very promising.
Michael Regan
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

Postby Michael Regan » Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:28 pm

I loved the original Ronin series! I just hope they don't go all 'Miller' with it. 300 and 300: Rise of an Empire may very well be good, watchable films but after sitting through Sin City I have not had the strength to give either a try.

I'm also looking forward to the upcoming James Gordon series and Flash... Arrow has solidly grown on me as has S.H.E.I.L.D.

Return to “The Small Screen”