Quantum Leap

"You know the really great thing about television?
If something important happens, anywhere in the world, night or day... you can always change the channel."

~ "Reverend Jim" Ignatowski

Discussion about television productions, internet exclusived, direct-to-DVD releases, and more...
Locknar
Top Secret
Top Secret

Quantum Leap

Postby Locknar » Sun May 11, 2014 11:36 pm

I've read that the series ending episode of Quantum Leap is rated one of the worst ever. Granted, it was not The Bob Newhart Show but I thought the ending fitting the series.

Why do people hate this ending so much?
Michael Regan
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

Re: Quantum Leap

Postby Michael Regan » Tue May 13, 2014 12:50 pm

Overall I think that it is two fold:
  • the idea that the leaping was not 100% scientific and was the result of a cosmic entity (God?) did not sit well with many people. Certainly even Sam felt that there was a higher purpose to his otherwise random jumps, but speculation on his part was nothing compared to putting it into actual fact in the series.
  • over the course of the five season run we became very empathic with both Sam and Al. We witness Al's life actually change and be better overall due to the manipulations of Sam in the past and we hoped, as the openning sequence indicated, hoping that his next leap will be the leap home. After such a long ordeal, we wanted a happy ending for Sam but were denied as the closing card indicated.
Personally, I enjoyed it all - even the evil leaper. The ending made sense as well. Could Sam return home after all he has seen and done? Does the home Sam left even exist anymore considering all the changes he made in the past?

It is more likely that this ending was created to be open ended in the event that the wished to return to the series at some point.
Locknar
Top Secret
Top Secret

Postby Locknar » Wed May 14, 2014 12:24 am

I thought the disjointed nature of the series finale fit the show. As you mention, he had changed history...or rather the history he knew with every leap. There was no way he could realistically return. In the end, it was about two best friends and the sacrifice one would make for the other.
Michael Regan
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

Postby Michael Regan » Wed May 14, 2014 12:40 pm

One interesting item is the connection between Quantum Leap and Sliders.

Sam's brother was Thomas. Maggie Beckett's father was also Thomas. Fan speculation is that Sam is Maggie's uncle.
Locknar
Top Secret
Top Secret

Postby Locknar » Fri May 23, 2014 1:06 am

That would be a interesting connection.

I know they won't, but I wish they would do a good TV or real movie to wrap it all up. Of course, I wish the same thing wrt Twin Peaks...like that will ever happen.
Michael Regan
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

Postby Michael Regan » Fri May 23, 2014 12:48 pm

Too late for many, or perhaps not...

I just finished watching the original series of Alien Nation and never realized it ended on such a dramatic cliffhanger. Due to public outcry, four (if memory serves) television movies were crafted to tie up loose ends. Of course, this did not involve a decade or two in between, but with talks of a Goonies II nothing is out of the question if the right people get involved.
Locknar
Top Secret
Top Secret

Postby Locknar » Wed May 28, 2014 2:50 am

I think safe to say the ship has sailed re Twin Peaks, all we got was a awful (except for David Bowe's brief appearance which was brilliant) prequel. Unrelated I know there is talk time to time of a sequal to Princess Bride; I for one think it is perfect just as is and hope they never ruin it with a sequal.
Michael Regan
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

Postby Michael Regan » Wed May 28, 2014 1:18 pm

Priness Bride was great and is regularly playing at my house. The book was good as well.
Locknar
Top Secret
Top Secret

Postby Locknar » Fri May 30, 2014 2:19 am

I dare say that the movie is far better then the book, which is rare.
Michael Regan
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

Postby Michael Regan » Fri May 30, 2014 12:33 pm

The movie flowed better, I'll give it that.

Return to “The Small Screen”