Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. “...Ye Who Enter Here” (2014.12.02) – In Review

"Worst episode ever."
~ Comic Book Guy

Theatrical releases, television programs, comic books, video games... you name it.
Capes (Optional)
Publisher
Publisher

Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. “...Ye Who Enter Here” (2014.12.02) – In Review

Postby Capes (Optional) » Thu Dec 25, 2014 6:49 pm

Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D (2013) season 2, episode 9
In Review

"...Ye Who Enter Here"

WRITER: PAUL ZBYSZEWSKI
DIRECTOR: BILLY GIERHART

AIR DATE: December 2 2014

CONTAINS SPOILERS!

‘Ye Who Enter Here’ is certainly an ominous phrase whenever used, and such is the case with the ninth episode of season two for Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Storylines move forward with the sense of setting the groundwork for what’s to come (the following episode happens to be the mid-season finale). It also brings us more revelations amid a competing race between S.H.I.E.L.D. and Hydra, all of whom are after the hidden city.

Coulson (Clark Gregg) is operating on two fronts, sending agents after Raina (Ruth Negga), who’s also being sought after by Hydra. Her main hunter from that side of things is Agent 33, the operative with a scarred version of May’s face, and Agent 33 is in a pretty bad mood. The Koenig brothers (Patton Oswald) factor into her retrieval, and some of the comedy of the episode is drawn from the question: just how many of these brothers are there? Coulson himself is infiltrating the lost city along with some of his team. It involves dark spaces, hidden corridors, and a pit with enigmatic secrets. It also brings serious danger into the midst for at least one of them.

The Koenig brothers
how many are there?

The episode picks up considerably as things get towards the end. We must sit through expository dialogue (thank you very much, Raina) about Skye’s parentage, but as things move along, we find the characters moving into place. Agent Ward (Brett Dalton) is involved in a gambit to retrieve Skye (Chloe Bennet) and Raina on behalf of Skye’s father (Kyle MacLachlan, who seems to be having a ball playing the demented role) and Whitehall, who while keeping his mind on the big goal seems oblivious to the fact that his collaborator has his own agenda, none of which benefits him.

We get a quiet character moment between Fitz (Iain De Caestecker) and Simmons (Elizabeth Henstridge), who are still trying to get past the tensions between them. It has been wise thus far to keep the tension between them in place, though we have to wonder where it goes from here.

Fitz and Simmons
the tension continues

Things end ominously on more than one front, with an impending family reunion for one character and a bad turn for another, seemingly possessed by… well, something in the hidden city. As they say in such things, to be continued...

3½ / 5

Return to “Capes (Optional) Reviews”