Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. "One Door Closes" (2015.03.31) - In Review

"Worst episode ever."
~ Comic Book Guy

Theatrical releases, television programs, comic books, video games... you name it.
Capes (Optional)
Publisher
Publisher

Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. "One Door Closes" (2015.03.31) - In Review

Postby Capes (Optional) » Sat May 02, 2015 3:08 pm

Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D (2013) season 2, episode 15
In Review

"One Door Closes"

WRITER: LAUREN LEFRANC and RAFE JUDKINS
DIRECTOR: DAVID SOLOMON

AIR DATE: March 31 2015

CONTAINS SPOILERS!

‘One Door Closes’ brings the currently running storyline involving two rival factions of S.H.I.E.L.D. to a new point, while filling in some of the details about the second faction. This appears to be the storyline that will be dominating the remainder of the season. The flashback aspect of the story gives us the history of the faction under Robert Gonzales (Edward James Olmos), the man who considers his group the real S.H.I.E.L.D., answering a few questions. On the day the agency fell during the events of Captain America: The Winter Soldier, we see Mack (Henry Simmons) saved by Bobbi Morse (Adrianne Palecki) and Isabelle Hartley (Lucy Lawless) from Hydra double agents aboard the devastated S.H.I.E.L.D. helicarrier. They work to save the injured Gonazales, and we learn why the group has decided to turn against the standard operating procedure of Nick Fury, namely absolute secrecy and lack of accountability.

In the present day (what with Isabelle being dead earlier in the season), Bobbi and Mack find themselves under suspicion from May (Ming-Na Wen) and Coulson (Clark Gregg) in ways that quickly spiral out of control, revealing the schism between the two factions. When all is said and done, Coulson finds himself outnumbered but not quite out of options, even with adversaries (can they really be thought of as enemies?) at every turn.

A wounded Gonzales
receives first aid.

Part of the efforts by the Gonzales faction concerns Agent Skye (Chloe Bennet), who’s been laying low at the Retreat, but is considered a person of interest for Gonzales’ side. One of his agents has issues with gifted individuals, and that certainly plays out in his approach where Skye is concerned. Though she’s already had a visitor- the sightless Gordon (Jamie Harris), an Inhuman with a teleportation ability who’s been lurking around the series. Gordon has made an offer of assistance, and unlike the rest, has left the decision to her.

There are a few more episodes of Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. before the season is at an end. It leaves the team divided, some in custody of their rivals, others on the run, and one heading to a new place and a new beginning. This episode brings a lot of action across, and yet also has the sensibility of setting the stage for what’s to come. Two S.H.I.E.L.D. factions, two very different leaders. At least at the moment, we understand the motivations for both Coulson and Gonzales. Whether or not they can come to terms with each other is yet to be seen, but it’s not looking likely yet.

3½ / 5

Return to “Capes (Optional) Reviews”