Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. "Scars" (2015.05.05) - In Review

"Worst episode ever."
~ Comic Book Guy

Theatrical releases, television programs, comic books, video games... you name it.
Capes (Optional)
Publisher
Publisher

Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. "Scars" (2015.05.05) - In Review

Postby Capes (Optional) » Sun Aug 23, 2015 3:15 pm

Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D (2013) season 2, episode 20
In Review

"Scars"

WRITER: RAFE JUDKINS and LAUREN LeFRANC
DIRECTOR: BOBBY ROTH

AIR DATE: May 5 2015

CONTAINS SPOILERS!

‘Scars’ follows up in the wake of Avengers: Age of Ultron, both in how Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. interacts with the events of the film and how the series deals with the fallout. Starting out with a well timed flashback, the episode plays out the plotlines of the Inhumans coming to terms with a world that is becoming curious about them, while the new S.H.I.E.L.D. takes shape.

The flashback gives us a welcome return by Patton Oswald as the tech and logistics agents Billy and Sam Koenig. We don’t see the actor too often on the series, but the characters are fun, and Sam gets to brief Coulson (Clark Gregg) on a number of matters and name dropping that makes sense now in a way that wouldn’t have if they’d started out this season, leading to the revelation of what theta protocol was. It explains just where Nick Fury got himself a helicarrier in the last act of the movie.

The present day action gets S.H.I.E.L.D. reorganized in the wake of the Ultron attack. Coulson and Gonzales (Edward James Olmos) come to an understanding about the leadership and direction of the agency. The rest of the term are readjusting; Skye (Chloe Bennet) maintains her vigil with fellow Inhuman Lincoln (Luke Mitchell), who is wary of the fact that S.H.I.E.L.D. knows their people exist now. Fitz and Simmons (Iain De Caestecker and Elizabeth Henstridge) continue to find themselves getting along better than they have most of the season. Mack (Henry Simmons) makes a decision about his future that is, under the circumstances, understandable.

A family united

Among the Inhumans, Raina (Ruth Negga) has visions that are alarming to Jiaying (Dichen Lachman) and Gordon (Jamie Harris) and send Raina and Gordon on a mission into S.H.I.E.L.D. headquarters where a Kree weapon is contained. The presence of the two Inhumans is soon detected, and out of this come the circumstances setting into play the remainder of the season: a face to face meeting between S.H.I.E.L.D. and the Inhumans, something that goes awry thanks to influencing factors on both sides.

Skye finds herself torn between both sides. On the one hand there’s her mother and her people, something she’s coming to terms with and feeling loyal to. On the other hand are the friendships she’s built within S.H.I.E.L.D. and the way she feels about them. Where her loyalties will eventually take her is a question being asked by more than one party. She admits to Coulson that she doesn’t know what she is anymore.

Two characters stand out this time out. Jiaying is a leader of sorts (though one wonders how Black Bolt will eventually be worked into the cinematic universe), worried about her people, taking mixed signals from more than one person- not only Raina, but the demented Cal (Kyle MacLachlan), who has more than a grudge where Coulson is concerned. Her final action this time out is a shocker, but fits into the protect her people mentality of a leader. Even if that leads to war.

The other character is Kara (Maya Stojan), who’s adjusting to life with her mind being her own. But all is not what it seems. Sufficed to say, the term Trojan Horse comes to mind.

4 / 5

Return to “Capes (Optional) Reviews”