Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. "Laws of Nature" (2015.09.29) – In Review

"Worst episode ever."
~ Comic Book Guy

Theatrical releases, television programs, comic books, video games... you name it.
Capes (Optional)
Publisher
Publisher

Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. "Laws of Nature" (2015.09.29) – In Review

Postby Capes (Optional) » Thu Dec 03, 2015 6:15 pm

Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D (2013) season 3, episode 1
In Review

"Laws of Nature"

WRITERS: JED WHEDON and MAURISSA TANCHAROEN
DIRECTOR: VINCENT MISIANO

AIR DATE: September 29 2015

CONTAINS SPOILERS!

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. returns for season three with the new episode "Laws of Nature". It starts off with a bang - a new Inhuman, Joey Gutierrez (Juan Pablo Raba) finding his powers out of control, and potentially lethal - he can melt metal. One group is seeking him out in with their own purposes - the Advanced Threat Containment Unit (ACTU) - while the team safely extract him and take him to safety. There’s another player in the mix though, one who has an agenda of his own.

It’s been some time since the second season ended, and Coulson (Clark Gregg) and his team are still operating largely in the shadows, dealing with the release of Terrigen mists and its influence worldwide. Agent May has taken a leave of absence. The mystery of what’s become of Simmons (Elizabeth Henstridge) occupies everyone, particularly Fitz (Iain De Caestecker). Daisy (Chloe Bennet) is getting used to her powers and coming more into her own. This includes empathy for Joey, whose life has been thrown upside down, and trying to reconnect with Lincoln Campbell (Luke Mitchell), her Inhuman teacher who just wants to live a normal life.

I like the cameo appearance by William Sadler, reprising his role as the President from Iron Man 3, another nod that this is all a connected universe. His decisions confirms the status quo for the team - an unsanctioned organization that’s not particularly on the best of terms with the governments of the world, while a new official organization is rising up.

Lash

The Big Bad this time out was a surprise, an Inhuman named Lash, who of course has turned up in the comics first, in the pages of Inhuman. Lash has a ferocious, dangerous look, perfectly fitting with the villain from the comics, posing a formidable threat. I hope we see more of him.

Simmons' fate - having had been dragged into the monolith S.H.I.E.L.D. has been holding for months at the end of season two - has been a big question in between seasons. It doesn’t help that the monolith’s identified with the Hebrew word for death on a scroll. Finally we do see what’s become of her - somewhere very far away, and in a whole lot of trouble. Quite a cliffhanger to leave off with.

4½ / 5

Return to “Capes (Optional) Reviews”