Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. “Devils You Know” (2015.10.20) – In Review

"Worst episode ever."
~ Comic Book Guy

Theatrical releases, television programs, comic books, video games... you name it.
Capes (Optional)
Publisher
Publisher

Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. “Devils You Know” (2015.10.20) – In Review

Postby Capes (Optional) » Thu Dec 03, 2015 6:16 pm

Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D (2013) season 3, episode 4
In Review

"Devils You Know"

WRITER: PAUL ZYBSZEWSKI
DIRECTOR: RON UNDERWOOD

AIR DATE: October 20 2015

CONTAINS SPOILERS!

"Devils You Know" is an apt term for the latest episode of Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., as the series deals with a familiar antagonist for the team. Grant Ward (Brett Dalton), the one time member of the team who’s gotten ambitious and has decided to rebuild Hydra with himself in charge, has proven to be a thorn in the side for Coulson (Clark Gregg) and his team, all of whom would like to see him dead, in a very painful way.

Part of the plotline concerns itself with the Inhuman side of things, as Daisy (Chloe Bennet) seeks out one new Inhuman and learns a few things about the antagonist she and the others have tangled with, the Inhuman Lash (Matthew Willig). I like the character growth in Daisy from when we first met her - she’s gone from anti-establishment rebel to someone genuinely concerned for others - the character walks the edge between her Inhuman heritage and her ties to S.H.I.E.L.D. each day, and the series doesn’t ignore that.

The other major storyline features Hunter (Nick Blood) and his obsession to get to Ward. I had wondered if this was going to turn into an all season sort of thing, Hunter disconnected from the others, but as it turns out things go in a different way. Where it ends allows for yet more anger to be directed squarely at Ward (who, let’s face it, really has it coming), and more pain caused by him and his cohorts.

Phil Coulson
getting used to his new hand

It’s an odd thing - when Ward was playing the part of the hero, the character was painfully bland, boring, and pointless, and the actor was the weak link of the cast. Turning him into the villain’s made him more of compelling character, and despite his status as a big bad, I like that there are still ways to push his buttons. It doesn’t seem like Ward will be pushing up daisies anytime soon, but he might well be grunting in pain for a little while. Well, as I said, he has it coming.

4 / 5

Return to “Capes (Optional) Reviews”