Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. "Maveth" (2015.12.08) – In Review

"Worst episode ever."
~ Comic Book Guy

Theatrical releases, television programs, comic books, video games... you name it.
Capes (Optional)
Publisher
Publisher

Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. "Maveth" (2015.12.08) – In Review

Postby Capes (Optional) » Fri Apr 08, 2016 8:04 pm

Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D (2013) season 3, episode 10
In Review

"Maveth"

WRITER: JEFFREY BELL
DIRECTOR: VINCENT MISIANO

AIR DATE: December 8 2015

CONTAINS SPOILERS!

"Maveth" closes out the first half of Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.’s third season with a return visit to the mysterious world Simmons (Elizabeth Henstridge) was trapped in for a time. It’s also the name of the planet itself, among other things. The episode gives particular emphasis to Coulson (Clark Gregg), Fitz (Iain De Caestecker), and Ward (Brett Dalton), heightening the mutual tensions between both sides, while allowing the rest of the cast lots to do.

Fitz is a hostage for Ward and his men in the other world, seeking the mysterious exiled Inhuman. The road leads to Will Daniels (Dillon Casey), the stranded astronaut Simmons (Elizabeth Henstridge) spent time with. It’s not an easy prospect for Fitz - the woman he loves spent time with Will, and there was a connection between them. And yet the two find themselves getting to know each other under gunpoint - at least until a twist in things late in the game. Meanwhile, Coulson is out there on the planet too, chasing down Ward, eager to settle scores once and for all.

Back on Earth, the rest of the team is occupied - Mack (Henry Simmons), who was designated temporary director by Coulson under the reasonable premise that with no particular history with Ward, he could make objective decisions. Mack leads the rest of the team - Morse (Adrianne Malicki), Hunter (Nick Blood), Daisy (Chloe Bennet), Lincoln (Luke Mitchell), and the newly activated Joey (Juan Pablo Raba), who’s been around early in the season- in an operation against Malick (Powers Boothe) and Hydra at the castle to secure the portal and rescue Simmons.

Fitz and Ward
strange bedfellows

By episode’s end, things are never the same. Fitz has made a stunning discovery and taken decisive action to stop a menace - I like that Fitz has transitioned from a techno-genius to someone capable of taking care of himself. Coming home means facing Simmons, and bringing some bad news. Coulson has apparently settled scores and had his revenge - it’s hard to feel sorry for Ward, and so what happens is the sort of thing he has coming. And yet Ward is in effect the Wile E. Coyote of this series. Because Ward - at least in part - emerges back on Earth and finds his way to Malick - and he’s a changed man.

4 / 5

Return to “Capes (Optional) Reviews”