Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. "Parting Shot" (2016.03.22) – In Review

"Worst episode ever."
~ Comic Book Guy

Theatrical releases, television programs, comic books, video games... you name it.
Capes (Optional)
Publisher
Publisher

Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. "Parting Shot" (2016.03.22) – In Review

Postby Capes (Optional) » Sat May 21, 2016 2:52 pm

Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D (2013) season 3, episode 13
In Review

"Parting Shot"

WRITER: PAUL ZBYSZEWSKI
DIRECTOR: MICHAEL ZINBERG

AIR DATE: March 22 2016

CONTAINS SPOILERS!

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. reaches a crossroads with the new episode "Parting Shot", with the team caught up in a case out of Russia, while the machinations of Hydra continue to play out. Before it’s all said and done, though, there’s a point of no return for two members of the team, backed into a corner and out of luck.

As was shown in the last episode, Hunter (Nick Blood) and Bobbie (Adrianne Palicki) have stowed away on the plane containing Malick (Powers Boothe) and the Russian envoy, Anton Petrov (Ravil Isanyov). Their trail takes them into Russia, to a secret facility in Siberia where the Russian’s planning on building an Inhuman sanctuary (of course there’s much more to it than that). He also has himself some big plans against the Russian President, involving a Russian Inhuman who happens to have the ability to tap into the darkforce (readers of the comics or viewers of the past season of Agent Carter might see something familiar in that). And it’s been referenced before in a previous episode.

There is a great deal of intrigue through the episode, as the agents find themselves protecting the Russian president (even if he’s not terribly grateful) and as the object of suspicion regarding their status in S.H.I.E.L.D., supposedly outlawed. Where things end up for them both is in a dilemma, but I like that they’re both defiant and cheeky under interrogation, and that they hold to their principles.

As an episode title, "Parting Shot" has more than one meaning. It’s a parting of the ways for two of the show’s main cast members - who are being spun off into something new. The characters find themselves in a state where they can’t be agents anymore, and it’s done in a way that maintains the integrity of Coulson (Clark Gregg) and President Ellis (William Sadler), who are able to give them a way out. The two have something of a Spy’s Goodbye with their colleagues - and it’s a bittersweet moment for the audience too.

Bobbi and Hunter

4 / 5

Return to “Capes (Optional) Reviews”