Marvel's Agents of S.H.E.I.L.D. "Spacetime" (2016.04.05) - In Review

"Worst episode ever."
~ Comic Book Guy

Theatrical releases, television programs, comic books, video games... you name it.
Capes (Optional)
Publisher
Publisher

Marvel's Agents of S.H.E.I.L.D. "Spacetime" (2016.04.05) - In Review

Postby Capes (Optional) » Sun Aug 21, 2016 4:44 pm

Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D (2013) season 3, episode 15
In Review

"Spacetime"

WRITERS: MAURISSA TANCHAROEN and JED WHEDON
DIRECTOR: KEVIN TANCHAROEN

AIR DATE: April 5 2016

CONTAINS SPOILERS!

"Spacetime" moves things into a new direction for Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. as the agents find themselves dealing with the idea of fate and the future, all courtesy of an Inhuman with a rather unusual ability. As has been the case this season, with S.H.I.E.L.D. and Hydra working against each other to identify new Inhumans, this one becomes the subject of a struggle for both of them.

Charles Hinton (Bjorn Johnson) is easily overlooked - a homeless man living in the margins of life, and yet Terrigenesis has left him with a rather extraordinary ability. He can touch another person, and both he and the other person are given visions of the death of the other person. There’s backstory to the character that makes him sympathetic. His ability kicks off the episode in a dramatic way, bringing in the agents, and repeats as Charles touches Daisy (Chloe Bennet) just before he’s taken by Hydra - giving her a vision of a future including his own death and other aspects involving the agents. Coulson (Clark Gregg) and the agents decide to try to change fate instead of letting it happen. Preventing fate plays out through the episode, in more than one way.

There are complications to that, of course. Coulson’s decision to interfere with fate means sending May (Ming-Na Wen) to do what Daisy was supposed to do in the vision - but a return by Andrew (Blair Underwood) throws that for a loop. He believes he’s about to turn permanently into Lash, and wants to say goodbye.

On the other side of things, we have Gideon Malick (Powers Boothe) still trying to keep Hive (Brett Dalton) under some semblance of control, with the assistance of his right hand man Giyera (Mark Dacascos). Malick is pulling strings and working to gain control over a private corporation for his own ends, using Hydra to continue to further his agenda - including the use of Charles. And yet by episode’s end, when his path has crossed with S.H.I.E.L.D., Malick is left deeply unsettled by the experience, and uncertain of who’s on his side.

Daisy Johnson

4½ / 5

Return to “Capes (Optional) Reviews”