Marvel's Agents of S.H.E.I.L.D. "The Singularity" (2016.04.26) - In Review

"Worst episode ever."
~ Comic Book Guy

Theatrical releases, television programs, comic books, video games... you name it.
Capes (Optional)
Publisher
Publisher

Marvel's Agents of S.H.E.I.L.D. "The Singularity" (2016.04.26) - In Review

Postby Capes (Optional) » Sun Sep 25, 2016 10:19 pm

Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D (2013) season 3, episode 18
In Review

"The Singularity"

WRITER: LAUREN LEFRANC
DIRECTOR: GARRY A. BROWN

AIR DATE: April 26 2016

CONTAINS SPOILERS!

"The Singularity" picks up where things left off for Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., with the base heavily damaged by an earthquake triggered by one of their own, who’s now in the sway of the Big Bad of the season. It also starts pressing the series towards the end of the season by leaving the viewer with the impression that we’ve passed the point of no return. It also brings in a guest actor for a stint, a welcome character actor who’s one of those people who can make reading the telephone book interesting (they still have telephone books, right?).

The bad news is that Daisy (Chloe Bennet) is under the influence of Hive (Brett Dalton), who’s taken to inhabiting the body of the late Grant Ward. Among his abilities is one that allows him to influence Inhumans and make them follow his orders. She’s used her seismic abilities to wreck the team’s base and has joined with Hive, who’s gathering other Inhumans to his influence.

Coulson (Clark Gregg) and his team hope it’s still possible to reach Daisy and free her of Hive’s influence- after all, she could have killed them and didn’t. Much of the episode revolves around a trans-humanist scientist named Holden Radcliffe (John Hannah), whose work involving parasites might prove beneficial in thwarting Hive. Unfortunately Hive’s interested in him as well, and so the episode revolves around who gets to him first.

It’s a treat to see Hannah in the part. The actor has a gift for dialogue and snarkiness, and a deft touch with playing a part. His character, drawn out of the comics but rendered rather different, believes that humanity can be improved through enhancement- a rather murky area ethically.

While the episode has a whole lot going on, there’s room for character development, as we see Fitz (Ian De Caestecker) and Simmons (Elizabeth Henstridge) finally take some big steps forward in their relationship, fuelled perhaps by events unfolding in the episode itself. And S.H.I.E.L.D. and the ATCU, armed with some final intelligence from the late Gideon Malick, deal what might well be a death blow to Hydra itself. Of course, there’s that whole Big Bad yet to be put down.

Simmons and Fitz

4 / 5

Return to “Capes (Optional) Reviews”