Arrow

"You know the really great thing about television?
If something important happens, anywhere in the world, night or day... you can always change the channel."

~ "Reverend Jim" Ignatowski

Discussion about television productions, internet exclusived, direct-to-DVD releases, and more...
Michael Regan
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

Arrow

Postby Michael Regan » Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:57 pm

Into season 2, Arrow is introducing more adapted elements from the DC Universe including a spin-off series for Flash. What are your thoughts?
Alister Hooke
Writer
Writer

Re: Arrow

Postby Alister Hooke » Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:59 pm

I gave up half way through Arrow Season 1, while my wife has hung on (just) and continued to watch. My problem with current DC TV - both Smallville and Arrow being examples of the current breed - is that their real-world approach to superheroes is both a strength and a weakness. While I wouldn't want to return to the garish and camp style of Adam West's Batman or Lynda Carter's Wonder Woman, I find the modern over-earnestness and aversion to capes and costumes off-putting. Chris Nolan is the only one who has got it right for me as far as DC characters go. His Batman, while dark and serious, nevertheless embraces the whole comicbook mythos of Gotham City, batmobiles and spandex costumes. His world is fantastical and grounded in a very clever and balanced way which I find missing in both Arrow and Smallville. And don't think I'm gonna let Marvel off the hook, what with the train wreck that is SHIELD! DC and Marvel need to both remember their four-colour comicbook roots and remember that their universes are ultimately outlandish and a little bit ridiculous. Joss Whedon clearly gets this and has given us one incredibly entertaining movie, Avengers Assemble. Arrow needs to entertain, even if my wife might disagree with me on that point.
Michael Regan
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

Postby Michael Regan » Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:03 am

I have to agree that season 1 of Arrow was a struggle with me as well and I nearly gave it up. Season 2 has put things into a far better direction and created a launching pad for a new Flash series.

I'll start a new thread for SHIELD.
ilvmycat

Arrow

Postby ilvmycat » Sat May 17, 2014 9:18 pm

Michael Regan wrote:Into season 2, Arrow is introducing more adapted elements from the DC Universe including a spin-off series for Flash. What are your thoughts?

<:O :???: :down:
Trish :)
Michael Regan
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

Postby Michael Regan » Sun May 18, 2014 11:26 pm

Good to see the emoticons are working nicely :)

Feel free to look through the avatar gallery and get yourself a nice image to represent yourself while you are at it. If you want something special, just ask.
ilvmycat

Postby ilvmycat » Thu Nov 03, 2016 7:30 pm

ilvmycat wrote:
Michael Regan wrote:Into season 2, Arrow is introducing more adapted elements from the DC Universe including a spin-off series for Flash. What are your thoughts?

<:O :???: :down:

I still watch Flash but gave up on Arrow as it became too confusing to me when they started adding new characters and not really understanding where they came from. I still enjoy Flash, but get a little confused sometimes with their Earth 2/Earth storylines. Also one episode Harrison Wells left and then he was back and I :???: as to what happened. Also he was pretending to be disabled and then he wasn't. I didn't understand what the purpose of that deception. Maybe I don't pay attention to the storyline enough, I don't know I try but sometimes it is beyond my comprehension. I have to get into the mindset of the science fiction/fantasy. :S 8S ;:o :O

The disabled Harrison Wells wasn't actually Harrison Wells, he was Reverse Flash, a bad guy from the future who killed him and took his place. The new Harrison is from Earth 2. Reverse Flash was there to monitor Barry's progress to ensure future events occurred the way he wanted them to.

Reverse Flash killed Barry's mother.
Trish :)

Return to “The Small Screen”